Looks like the Pied Piper is headed back to court after being slapped with 11 new felony charges for a new case involving sexual relations with an underage girl.
According to the Chicago Sun Times, Cook County prosecutors filed the new sexual assault charges against R. Kelly on Thursday that carry a potential sentence of up to 30 years in prison. The alleged offense happened in January 2010 with the singer’s lawyer claiming the new charges are related to an alleged victim that was included in one of the four sex abuse cases filed against Kelly back in February.
The new charges include four counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, two counts of criminal sexual assault by force, two counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, and three counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse against a victim between the ages of 13 to 16.
The new charges were filed while Kelly remains free on $1 million bond following his indictment earlier this year. Back in February, the Grammy award-winning singer was indicted in the sex abuse cases involving four alleged victims— including three underage girls. He is now due to appear in court for the new charges on June 6.
At Kelly’s bond hearing, prosecutors said Kelly met the alleged victim “J.P.” when she was 16 and got his autograph after a hearing during his 2008 trial on child pornography charges. Between May 2009 and January 2010, prosecutors say Kelly had sex with the teen “multiple” times at his home in south suburban Olympia Fields, Chicago Sun-Times reports.
In a Twitter post, Kelly’s lawyer Steve Greenberg said the new case represented new charges related to one of the existing victims.
“[Kelly] was NOT charged with a new case. He was recharged in an existing case, same alleged victim and time (a decade ago) It changes nothing,” Greenberg wrote. “These are the same conduct, just charged differently, same alleged victim, same time frame, same facts. We expect the same results.”
Press play below for more on this story.