Looks like Americans are canceling their summer vacations to the Dominican Republic amid fear over the mysterious tourist deaths plaguing the Caribbean country.
According to a new report from ForwardKeys cited by the NY Post, flight bookings to the Dominican Republic are reportedly down 74 percent through the most popular vacation months of July and August. The alleged sharp decline comes amid reports of mysterious illnesses and at least 14 deaths of American tourists in the island nation this year.
According to the study, cancellations spiked by a whopping 70 percent on June 10, the same day Leyla Cox died suddenly at a luxury resort in Punta Cana. Just last year, the Dominican Republic welcomed over 6.5 million visitors from around the globe.
An expert on Dominican tourism told Fox News last week that the country is anticipating a decline in visitors this summer.
“I think the (downward) curve started in June and will continue in July before starting to recover again in August and September,” the source said.
The source warned Dominican authorities to find out the cause of the mysterious deaths soon or it will affect the country’s tourism very poorly.
“If this is not figured out, it will be a catastrophe [for the country],” he claimed.
Meanwhile, flight bookings to other Caribbean islands is up – including Jamaica (26 percent,) the Bahamas (44.5 percent,) and Aruba (31.3 percent,) Fox Business reports. Even major airlines have gotten involved with Delta Air Lines allowing passengers free rebooking or cancellations to their Dominican Republic travel plans.
Press play below for more on this story.