Chef JJ’s has shared a delicious curry-crusted cod recipe for the season finale of his hit Cleo TV show JUST EATS WITH CHEF JJ .
He shared the meal with power couple and entrepreneurs Dana Chanel and Prince Donnell for the season finale airing Saturday, April 27 at 12 p.m. ET. Chef JJ got the party started by serving up cocktails with pineapple spritzer infused with ginger, lime juice, and coconut sugar brims, and the trio cooked up the perfect Sunday meal – Curry-crusted Cod with Hominy Stew.
Curry Crusted Cod with Hominy Stew: Recipe Courtesy of Chef JJ Johnson
Yield: 4 portions/Total Time: 45 minutes
- 8 ounces turkey bacon, diced
- 2 Spanish onions, diced
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 3 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 (15- ounce) cans white hominy corn, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15- ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest (from about ½ lime)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (1 ½ inch thick) cod fillets
- Heat a 6- quart pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook to begin rendering the fat.
- Once the bacon is sizzling and a bit crispy, about 5 minutes, transfer to paper towels to
- Add the onions to the pot and sprinkle with salt. Cook until soft and translucent, about 5
minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the jalapeno and poblano peppers and stir to cook.
- Once the vegetables are soft and just beginning to brown slightly, add the hominy and stir
to combine and bring up any brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes and
- Cover the pot and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer the stew for 25 minutes, then
uncover and simmer for 10 more minutes, or until the liquid is slightly reduced and thickened. Finish the stew by stirring in the lime juice, lime zest, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
- While the stew is simmering, prepare the cod: in a small bowl, combine the cornmeal,
flour, and curry powder. Brush the cod fillets with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with
salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge the fish in the flour mixture and thoroughly shake
off any excess flour.
- Heat a large cast- iron pan over medium high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil
and when it shimmers, add the cod fillets and cook until the fish is opaque and flaky, 3 to
5 minutes per side.
- Serve the fish over a bowl of the stew and top with the reserved bacon.
Press play below for a sneak peek and be sure to watch the season finale when it airs Saturday, April 27 at 12 p.m. ET..
Download the full recipe HERE.